Quick Guide to Catawba Technology
Getting started with technology at Catawba College.
Student Personal Computers - PDF
Hardware/software/printing requirements and recommendations, as well as information about technology purchasing discounts for Catawba College students and network access. We support secure wired and wireless network access for Windows and Apple computers.
Student Print/Copy/Scan Resources - PDF
Students have access to Canon Multi-function Devices for black and white or color printing, copying, and scanning. These devices are installed in all campus computer labs, the library, and many other locations on campus. Students receive a $45 print/copy quota per semester. Students can print from campus-owned computers, personal computers, or smartphones. Note: Personal printers must be connected via USB cable and wireless printers are not supported on the campus network.
Microsoft Office (Free to Catawba Students & Employees) - PDF
The Microsoft Office Professional software suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and more) is available to all Catawba College students and employees AT NO COST. Office can be installed on up to 5 different devices, including PC, Mac, and most smartphones and tablets. (Personal devices only)
Network Access for Students: CatNetConnect
Once you have a Catawba username and password, you can set up your Windows or Apple computer to connect to the secure campus wireless network (Catawba) or the wired network. Please note the following:
- Resident students and employees must use the Catawba network.
- Secure wired and wireless service is available in most campus buildings, including residence halls.
- Make sure that your wireless network card is enabled.
- Our wireless network provides substantial wireless coverage in almost all academic, administrative, and residential buildings on campus.
- To connect, search for wireless networks and connect to the “Catawba” secure wireless network.
- Personal printers must be connected via USB cable and wireless printers are not supported on the campus network.
- Gaming consoles may also be registered to work on the wired network.
Guest Network Access
Guests may connect to the low-security unencrypted guest wireless network, CatawbaGuest, which requires no special set up, but does require a valid Catawba username and password. Read more below:
- Although the campus network (Catawba) is recommended, commuting students may use CatawbaGuest.
- All traffic going across the guest network is completely unencrypted.
- The guest network is not as fast as the secure wireless network and will require that you re-authenticate every hour.
- Search for networks and connect to the open guest network labeled CatawbaGuest.
- Open a web browser, and when prompted to authenticate to the network, enter your username and password provided by IT (case sensitive).
- Guests and visitors to campus need to obtain a guest login username and password. This information must be requested by a member of the campus community, providing specific start and end dates for the guest's access.
- If a guest requires any special port access beyond the commodity internet, this must be discussed well in advance to determine if and how that need can be accommodated.
Smartphones and Tablets
How to connect your mobile devices to the Catawba wireless network and to WebMail (Microsoft Office 365); includes email, contacts, calendar, chat and web conferencing via Skype for Business, 1 Tb of cloud-based OneDrive file storage, Microsoft Teams, and more):
Navigate Catawba campus life from your smartphone or tablet:
Online Registration Guide - PDF
Check for holds and register for classes.
Fees and Charges
There is no charge for internet service. If needed, you may purchase a 14' network cable ($5), a custom length network cable ($10), or virus/spyware removal service ($50). These charges are posted to your student account. Beyond resolving network connectivity issues, the IT Department does not work on student computers, but can recommend local computer service companies that offer a Catawba College discount.