The Catawba College Department of Music is a distinctive, creative, engaged and dynamic community of students and faculty. We work rigorously to inspire continual artistic growth and professional renewal to serve as leaders in the musical world of the 21st century. We offer a richly diverse and inclusive curriculum that leads each student to develop his or her personal artistic vision while embracing our commitment to liberal studies. We affirm the college's mission to prepare students to reach their highest potential while becoming responsible citizens with zeal to enrich human life.
- Provide a musically inclusive curriculum leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree that will prepare music majors for professional service in music education, sacred music, performance, or music management, or for further studies in graduate school.
- Provide a curriculum for minors that will develop their musical skills and knowledge.
- Offer music courses for non-majors that will help them experience, think critically about, and communicate with precision their perceptions and understandings about music.
- Provide performance opportunities for majors, non-majors, and the general public through private lessons and a variety of large and small ensembles that perform diverse styles and genres.
- Offer music instruction for the general public, both children and adults.
- Provide adequate, safe, and accessible facilities, resources and space for classes, lessons, and rehearsals necessary to support the educational goals of the Department.
- Serve the musical community of Salisbury and the surrounding areas with expertise from a highly qualified and professionally active faculty.
- Provide collaboration with and support for musical arts organizations in the surrounding community.
- Sponsor interactions with a broad range of music professionals from outside the Catawba community.