Specific opportunities to engage in community service through Volunteer Catawba and other service outlets are listed below. If you have questions or would like to offer a suggestion for a community service project, please contact us.
Recent Summer Internships
Partners in Learning
Students in Training
Center for the Environment
Historic Salisbury Foundation
First United Church of Christ
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Holy Family Parish
Rowan Helping Ministries
NC Horse Protection Society
Saving Grace Farm
If you are interested in a paid internship, contact Jay Laurens, Catawba College, Salisbury, NC 28144; e-mail: email@example.com; Phone: (704) 637-4725. The following internships may be among those available. In some cases, students may arrange an internship at a location of their choice:
NOTE: These internships are available ONLY TO STUDENTS OF CATAWBA COLLEGE.
- The American Red Cross, Salisbury, NC 28147
Disaster Relief. 20-40 hours per week, working with Red Cross trained Disaster Action Teams (DAT) providing on-the-spot assistance to people displaced by house fires, accidents, or any event in Rowan County where people are in need of emergency assistance. Assistance means interviewing the client and issuing vouchers for lodging, food, and/or clothing. Intern would undergo Red Cross training for Disaster Relief, CPR, and First Aid.
Youth-In-Action. 20-40 hours per week, guiding/teaching leadership skills to high school students already enrolled in Red Cross Youth-In-Action (YIA). Generally this is done by helping YIA members design and implement activities, including volunteering at Rowan Helping Ministries, Assisted Living Centers, programs at the Red Cross for younger children, car wash and other fund raisers, teaching BAT (Basic Aid Training for elementary school age children), and more depending upon creativity of YIA members.
- Healthy Children of Rowan County, Salisbury, NC
Secretary. 25 hours per week (scheduling is flexible). This person will be responsible for recording progress and attitude survey data into an application program. He or she will research and organize statistics on specific age and gender crimes. This person should possess a good knowledge of computers, Internet, and researching. Good organizational skills also needed. Must be a self-starter with good time management skills.
Recreation Aid. 20-25 hours per week (scheduling is flexible). This person will be responsible for set up and clean up of daily recreational activities. He or she will work with the director of recreation and plan weekly activities. This person should possess good knowledge of recreational procedures, have a wide range of sports knowledge, work well with at-risk youth, be in good physical condition, and have good communication skills.
Mentor. 20-25 hours per week (scheduling is flexible). This person will be responsible for set up and clean up of daily mentoring activities. He or she will work with the program coordinator to plan weekly events and topics. This person should have good communication skills and a wide range of knowledge on social issues. He or she should be an unbiased individual, capable of discussing such issues as drug and alcohol addiction, teen pregnancy, anger control, moral values, and self-esteem building. Professional help will be available with discussion of various "touchy" issues.
Volunteer. 5-40 hours per week (scheduling is flexible). This person will be responsible for helping set up and clean up daily activities. He or she will work with the various program staff to plan weekly events and topics as needed. This person should have good communication skills and a wide range of knowledge in social issues, computers, and recreation. He or she should be an unbiased individual. This person should have the ability to discuss various topics in a one-on-one setting with at-risk youth. This person should also be very open minded and compassionate, able to participate in hand-on activities with various youth. [NO BUDGET FOR THIS POSITION]
- Rowan County Animal Shelter, Salisbury, NC
Volunteer. Hours flexible. Greet and escort the public, answer telephones, complete paperwork for animals brought into the shelter, file and maintain departmental records, groom and exercise adoptable puppies.
- Rowan Vocational Opportunities, Salisbury, NC
Assistant. 8:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Thursday. Rowan Vocational Opportunities, Inc. "provides opportunities and training for adults with mental, physical, and/or emotional disabilities ... to provide clients with daily living skills and to increase independent functioning at home and in the community." The intern would assist the Adult Development Vocational Program Manager, the Community Alternatives Program Manager, and the VR Placement Manager with the daily implementation of services offered to clients. Requires a willingness to perform necessary tasks in order to enhance the well being of clients and to maintain the high quality of standards by which RVO operates.
- Nazareth Children's Home, Rockwell, NC
Volunteer. Approximately 30 hours per week. Work with resident children in various capacities, tailored to the needs of the home and the interests of the intern. Prefer psychology or sociology students with an interest in special education.
- Abernethy Center, Newton, NC
Assistant for Spiritual Life. 12 hours per week or weekend for 12 weeks during the fall semester (September, October, November). Work under the supervision of the Director of Spiritual Life. Make daily calls on residents as assigned and keep a visitation log and journal to be reviewed weekly by the Director of Spiritual Life. Attend weekly Chapels on Wednesdays at 10:30 and 11:00 a.m. or weekly vespers on Sundays at 4:00 p.m. Visit and lead devotional time. Attend weekly Sunday School Lesson in Health Care on Sundays from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. or help conduct a Bible Study Group. Provide support to bring residents to Vespers on Sundays or Chapels on Wednesdays. Participate in small group activities in Health Care and Pavilion. Accompany residents on weekend trips and outings. Attend orientation session on first Monday of internship and/or all training sessions required of staff. Meet bi-monthly with Director of Spiritual life to review work responsibilities and go over schedules. Attend funerals or memorial services or family visitations as requested. Become acquainted with the Befrienders' Program and staff. Training will include journaling, worship leadership, small group dynamics, reading on pastoral care, spiritual assessment, and charting information on residents. The intern may speak or preach in local churches as a Sunday morning supply as requested and desired.
- Other internship opportunities include Young Life, Youth Services Bureau, National Conference for Community and Justice, City of Salisbury, Center for the Environment, Partners in Learning, and more.
---------------------------------- Back to Top ----------------------------------
If you are interested in any of the following volunteer opportunities, contact Jay Laurens.
American Red Cross
Blood drives—organize a blood drive, recruit donors, etc.
Bathe animals, walk dogs, escort public to show animals; friendly animals only, mostly puppies; must sign liability form. Saturday 8-11:30. Wednesday 8:30-4:30. Can come any time during those hours. Very flexible
Communities in Schools
- Commit to at least once school year to mentor an at-risk child in the school during school hours.
- Also occasional limited projects such as "Make a Difference Day:" Spend 2 hours working with younger children, 4 to 12 years old, on that day only.
Family Crisis Council
- Need one or two people who can run errands, etc. during October (Domestic Violence Awareness Month), mature and dependable, preferably psychology/sociology students.
- Also need females to baby sit while families involved in support groups, etc.
Habitat for Humanity
At General Store (downtown Salisbury): Young men (especially) to go on pickups and deliveries; all students to clean up, sort, display, etc. Store cleans and sells donated items. Builds one house a year with money raised.
- Can use one or two to help with building a sponsored house. Biggest work days are Thursday and Saturday but can use help on all days.
- Help with Barbecue fundraiser. Can use a lot of volunteers for that—big groups, especially.
Nazareth Children's Home – Rockwell, NC
Come out to do something with the children, play basketball, etc., also do story time with younger children.
Rowan Helping Ministries
- Can use sociology/psychology majors for crisis assistance. Will train to interview clients in financial crisis to determine eligibility (M-F 9-5 and Tuesdays 5-7).
- Also Groups to supervise the homeless shelter for one night and help with soup kitchen.
Healthy Children of Rowan County
- Work with at-risk boys, work with sick children (asthma support group—education); ADHD support group and summer camp; girl power (physical activity and self esteem);
- Need help with boys' after school program; preferably students interested in teaching or coaching; do tutoring, work with recreation. Children are 9-12 years old. M-F 3:00-6:00
Higher Ground Christian Ministry
A new agency, just starting out. Need help every other Monday, from 6-8 p.m., tutor in math, English, reading. Children are 7-12.
Need around three people to help with parking (direct people where to go); two people to collect money ($5) at door; one or two to serve wine at patrons' event at Catawba's Center for the Environment.
Society of Saint Andrew
Need people to glean in finished fields donated by farmers (pick free tomatoes at season's end, etc.)
Rowan County YMCA – Salisbury Branch
- Need once a week volunteers for Time Warner "Time to Read" program from 2-5pm. Would have to commit to at least 1 hour/week
- Need help with overnight sleepovers, once/month, usually 3rd Friday.
- Need help with "Lights on After School", around 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Rowan Regional Medical Center
- Need accomplished pianists to play in hospital lobby.
- Need one or two for flower delivery on occasional Saturdays or weekdays if possible.
- Need mature and emotionally secure people to work with families in stress (prefer psychology or sociology majors); evening hours in critical care waiting room or family surgery waiting room. Must be comfortable in dealing with grief. (No counseling, just a companion role). Some training provided.
- Need computer skills for office help.
The Salvation Army
- Need help with application for Christmas assistance. Take applications by hand, then type into computer: simple data-entry. Lunch provided for volunteers. Hours flexible.
- Pick up donated canned goods at local schools. Need help loading and unloading, sorting and separating (all through December, between 9:00-5:00).
- Beginning in November, Monday-Saturday, 10:00am–8:00pm: Ring bells for Salvation Army. Good project for clubs. (Kettle will have sign saying it is sponsored by the club. Money raised in kettles is used for purchasing toys.)
- Distribute toys to families at fairgrounds 9:00–3:00.
- Need help with "Angel Trees." Community can come and adopt an angel from one of three trees at Wal-Mart, K-mart and Salisbury Mall. Need volunteers to stay at trees, beginning in November until near Christmas.
Piedmont Players Theatre
Need "front of house" help (ushers) on show dates. Volunteers can see the performance free of charge.
Rowan Vocational Opportunities, Inc.
- Need clerical help, typing, filing, etc.
- Need people to help instructors with clients (people with various types of disabilities who learn appropriate skills and perform those duties in the production area).
- Need assistance in the production area, volunteers to help clients on production floor
---------------------------------- Back to Top ----------------------------------