Tips for Parents
What Students Need: Sending Care & Encouragement
Students are in the final stretch, as they wrap up the academic year. This means papers, projects, activities and much more. It can be a stressful time, and your support along the way can make a big difference.
Whether you're sending a care package or bits and pieces of encouragement along the way, your student is bound to appreciate your efforts! Some ideas include:
- Notes of Encouragement. Consider sending texts, emails or handwritten notes to encourage your student and let him know that you believe in him.
- Healthy Snacks. If you're putting together a care package, include some healthy snacks, like granola bars, dried fruit, yogurt-covered raisins and baked chips. That doesn't mean you can't include a few "guilty pleasures," too!
- Photos. Have the family dog pose for a portrait. Or have siblings do something goofy for the camera! Getting glimpses into family/friend life back home can give your student a needed break — and some laughs!
- Cartoons & Quotes. Send along that funny Far Side calendar page that you think your student will appreciate. Or print out an inspirational quote that fits her and put it in a magnetized frame she can stick on her fridge.
- Comfy Clothes. A pair of comfy socks, lounge pants or a hometown T-shirt can give your student some comfort and care.
- Food Coupons. A gift card for a local restaurant or grocery store could be very welcomed indeed, as your student might need to get off campus for a break during this intense time.
- Office Supplies. A new pack of highlighters or pens could certainly be put to good use!
Just think about who your student is and what brings him comfort and care. That'll make all the difference!
Care Package Food Safety
If you're giving or sending your student perishable food items, be sure to keep food safety in mind. Some helpful tips are available by heading to www.fsis.usda.gov, typing "college" in the search bar and clicking on "Food Safety Tips for College Students."
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424