Tips for Parents
Keeping Debit & ATM Cards Safe
When it comes to debit or ATM cards, the Federal Trade Commission offers these tips to keep them safe:
- Keep your PIN separate from your cards, don't give it out and don't make it easy to guess.
- Don't put your account number anywhere visible and be cautious about giving it out over the phone.
- Draw a line through blank spaces on charge or debit slips above the total so the amount can't be changed. And don't sign a blank charge or debit slip.
- Cut through the account number on old cards.
- Compare monthly statements to your receipts promptly and report any discrepancies right away.
- Carry only those cards that you anticipate you'll need.
- Check your account activity, especially if you bank online, by comparing current balances and withdrawals/transfers to those you've recorded. Report any problems immediately to your card issuer.
As the summer spending season approaches, consider sharing these reminders with your student so he can keep his cards — and his money — safe.
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424