Tips for Parents
6 Ways to Make Orientation Count
Getting the Most Out of This Important Experience
As you and your student head to campus for orientation, keep a few tips in mind:
- Take in as much as you can. Attend various sessions, talk with campus staff and students, and get an overall sense for what this institution is all about.
- Engage. Meet other parents, ask questions and get involved in what's going on. It's one of the best ways to start feeling like a true part of the campus community.
- Encourage your student to explore on her own. There will likely be separate sessions for students and parents/families. Go off to your different workshops and then come back together to share notes!
- Look to the staff for guidance. There are so many people at orientation who are there to make this a great experience for you and your student. Try not to stress about the little things and allow the campus staff to lend a hand.
- Ask Questions. There's no such thing as a dumb question at orientation — the campus staff is here to provide answers!
- Put your student first. Orientation is about helping your student navigate the lay of the land and get more comfortable before classes kick in. Encourage, support and cheer her on during this important first step.
Orientation is a great chance to ease the nerves for all — students and families alike. Take advantage of the opportunities presented to you and enjoy this important time.
Questions to Consider Asking
Now's the time to seek out answers to those nagging questions you've had on your mind...
- What can I do to encourage my student to keep herself safe on campus?
- What is your policy on alcohol and other drugs?
- What happens if my student doesn't like her roommate?
- Will my student be behind her classmates if she isn't ready to declare a major?
- Who can I call if I need help?
- How can I best support my student during the upcoming months?
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424