Tips for Parents
It's the "Finals" Showdown:
Quick Stress-Busting Tips You Can Offer
There's nothing like finals to make students panic and stress. Unfortunately, the more anxious students are about finals, the harder it is for them to do well. Here are some quick and easy "stress-busting" solutions you can offer to your student as he prepares to prove all that he's learned this semester:
- Head to the campus recreation center to sweat or swim that stress away. Go running, join in on a yoga class or play some impromptu hoops. Balance your mind, body and spirit and you'll be better prepared.
- Snack on healthier choices, instead of fatty fixes. Yogurt, a piece of fruit or a granola bar are all quick and easy to grab while you are studying.
- Have a 5-minute dance party in your room — by yourself or with a few friends. There is nothing like moving your body and feeling good doing it!
- Treat yourself to a pedicure or a new haircut, trade massages with a friend or buy a special skin care product to calm yourself the night before one of your big tests.
- Take some time out to get some holiday shopping done. The change of scenery will feel good and so will finding gifts for the ones you love.
- Take advantage of free resources in the community such as an ice rink or a live band at a local coffee shop for some de-stressing fun. This is a great way to get recharged and ready to ace exams.
- Get enough sleep! Students often skimp on sleep, which is the one area that you shouldn't skimp on. Making sure you are well rested will ensure that you can think with your best self.
Encouraging your student to keep his anxiety level down will help him keep things in perspective too. Finals aren't the end-all, be-all. Although it can be tough to consider, there are many other important aspects of college and life. Remind your student that taking good care of himself during this time is what's most important, so he can put his best foot forward and feel good about his performance.
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424