Tips for Parents
Staying Connected with the College Sibling
Whether a sibling is feeling lonely or confused about their new perceived role in the family, there are a variety of ways that parents can help those children still at home stay connected with an older sibling at college.
Plan family gatherings
- Plan a dinner out for just family when the college student comes home to visit.
- Explore a new city by meeting halfway between home and college for a day.
- Have the younger sibling(s) and college sibling(s) collaboratively plan a family weekend getaway.
- Plan weekly phone calls for younger siblings to talk with their older sibling.
- Provide access to email for siblings back home.
- Help a sibling prepare a college care package.
- Snail mail is always fun to get, so encourage siblings to write each other regularly.
Plan a campus visit
- Family Weekend
- Athletic Events
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424