Tips for Parents
Black History Month Quiz
- Why was February chosen for Black History Month?
- In what year did Black History Month begin (after being Black History Week)?
- Which civil rights leader became the first African-American to make a serious bid for the U.S. presidency when he ran for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1983?
- Dr. Maulana Karenga, a professor of Black Studies at Cal. State University, created _______ as a way to unite the African-American community after the Watts riots in L.A.
- Who was known as the "Moses of her people," helping more than 300 slaves escape via the Underground Railroad?
- Which black track-and-field athlete won four gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, thus derailing Adolf Hitler's intent to use the Olympic Games as a display of Arian supremacy?
- Which black broadcaster and author hosts his own daily radio and TV show?
- Because it contained the birthdays of both Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, two men who made a significant impact on black history.
- In 1976, the celebration was expanded to the entire month of February.
- The Rev. Jesse Jackson
- In 1966, he created the well-known holiday of Kwanzaa, which is celebrated from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1.
- Harriet Tubman
- Jesse Owens
- Tavis Smiley
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424