Tips for Parents
American Indian Proverbs
There are plenty of proverbs that can really make us think — people often tend to identify with these sayings. Get a book of Native American proverbs like Guy A. Zona's The Soul Would Have No Rainbow if the Eyes Had No Tears and Other Native American Proverbs (1994) and find proverbs such as:
- "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." – Cherokee proverb
- "Everyone who is successful must have dreamed of something."
– Maricopa proverb
- "Knowledge that is not used is abused."
– Cree proverb
- "If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies within yourself."
– Minquass proverb
- "We will be known forever by the tracks we leave."
– Dakota proverb
November is American Indian Heritage Month. Take some time to remember all that Native Americans have contributed to U.S. culture this month — and beyond!
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424