Tips for Parents
Tips for a Successful Move-in Day
Move-in day is right around the corner, whether it's your student's first or third time. It's a busy, emotional day that can be made much smoother by following some simple tips...
- Bring along your own water — campus vending machines are notorious for selling out on this busy day
- Have a handcart available — if you have access to a simple handcart, it can help you and your crew move boxes more efficiently
- Pack items in sturdy containers — and make sure that no one box is too heavy by spreading out the books
- Encourage students to communicate with their roommate(s) ahead of time — this will prevent duplication of larger items like rugs and TVs
- Keep winter items at home — ship or deliver them when the time comes, as they'll just take up too much room right now when sweaters and mittens aren't an immediate need
- Bring along two empty bins — most students have items to send home once they realize they can't fit everything in their residence hall room. A ready supply of empty bins makes it easy to take items back home
- Help your student unpack and get settled in (somewhat) — leave things for her to do by herself so she can make the space her own
- Don't linger too much in your student's room on move-in day — he'll have activities to get to, people to meet and a college life to get started!
- Follow campus instructions — the process has been mapped out based on years of experience and will help everyone have a safer, smoother move-in day
All the best as you navigate a successful move-in day!
Move-in Things to Have at the Ready, Just in Case:
- extra water
- pad and pen
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424