Tips for Parents
Since students will be spending much time at the computer during the next month or so, finishing projects and papers, encourage them to do some healthy stretching during their breaks.
A few stretches to try include:
- Extend arms and move wrists in a circular motion, clockwise and counterclockwise
- With arm extended and hand palm up, gently use the other hand to stretch fingers of the extended hand toward the floor. Perform on both sides.
- Give yourself a hug reaching hands all the way to the shoulder blades
- Rotate your body all the way to the right, then left
- Stand up and take a walk or march in place
- Be sure to stay hydrated! Muscles need to be hydrated in order to work properly and avoid injury.
Sources: American Occupational Therapy Association at www.aota.org, www.kidsource.com, www.kidshealth.org
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424