Tips for Parents
Put together a surprise gift box for your college student and leave it in his room. Make sure you unpack it and place it somewhere where he won't find it until after you leave (under the bed or in a closet is a good bet).
Here are some fun things you could include:
- copy of a favorite childhood story book
- warm throw blanket (if you knit or crochet it, even better!)
- mix CD
- pre-recorded video with messages from family and friends
- some fun magazines
- nice lotion or soap
- a drawing from a younger sibling or friend
- candy or another special treat from a hometown shop
- deck of cards
- a book of inspirational quotes
- family pictures
- stuffed animal or cozy pillow
- a blank journal or photo album
What you put in the box really doesn't matter — it's your thought and the surprise that counts! Even the most excited student will feel some pangs of homesickness after you leave. The box will be a welcome reminder that you care and love your student.
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424