Tips for Parents
Holiday Gifts for College Students
It's the season for giving and for many of you, this can provide a good amount of stress. Worries about what to get for who can be all-consuming during this time of year. What should you give your college student? We asked a few current students to tell us what they would like from their parents. Here's what they had to suggest as a "gift list" for today's student:
- a nice piece of artwork or a poster to help make a residence hall room feel more homey
- money to help offset costs for academic-related endeavors (and social ones too!)
- sentimental gifts that help them learn more about you and your "pre-children" life
- room accessories they need like book shelves, drying racks, desktop lights, etc.
- a massage or something similar to relax and unwind after a busy semester
- a nice planner or journal to record all of the changes that happen in college
- a cookbook of family recipes, with space to add new favorite recipes, especially for those students who have access to kitchens
- an empty photo album, with a note that says you'll send a couple of pictures from home each month to help stay in touch
- an iPod and accessories, especially the iPod Touch, which numerous students are hoping for this holiday season
- any practical gift related to the student's major or area of focused study (i.e. if they'll be taking a tough math course in the spring, a fancy new calculator might be helpful)
- a homemade gift as a reminder of home away from home, like a collage or a quilt
- PJs and other comfy clothes to wear when lounging around
- gift cards to restaurants/grocery stores in the area near campus
- a vacuum cleaner
Just remember, it's the thought that counts! In today's materialistic world, a return to sentimental gifts may be exactly what your student needs. Don't be afraid to extend yourself in this manner ... the longer students are away from home, the more they actually appreciate keeping a piece of you and your family close to heart.
Prepared for our institution by PaperClip Communications, www.paper-clip.com.
Copyright 2006, 125 Paterson Ave., Little Falls, NJ 07424