- NCLive.org (best searches are Academic Search Elite, Newspaper Source, and ProQuest for articles and WorldCat for books)
- INTER-PLAY (will search all available anthologies for play titles, then search use the Catawba library online database to find that anthology)
The following is a list of links to sites related to the performing arts. While we list these sites, we do not necessarily agree with or support any information contained therein. The sites are not affiliated with Catawba College.
- Complete Listing of Auditions, all regions, professional and summer
- Professional Acting Job Websites:
- Jay's North Carolina Theatre Guide, a complete guide to all theatre companies in North Carolina with local audition info (tons of website links)
- Charlotte Area Theatres courtesy of Metrolina Theatre Association
- League of Washington (D.C.) Theatres, direct links to all area theatres for internships and auditions
- North Carolina Theatre Conference, state auditions and SETC prelims
- Region IV, Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival
- Southeastern Theatre Conference, the country's largest, most heavily attended regional auditions
- ArtSEARCH, national employment bulletin for the arts (subscription needed)
- BacksstageJobs.com, behind-the-scenes jobs
Stagecraft and Costume
- Backstage World Listings of stage and lighting equipment.
- The Costume Page Collection of resources for those making costumes.
- The Costume Site Collection of sites that offer costume information and/or sales.
- The Costumer's Manifesto Online costume information and images.
- Costuming via YAHOO!
- ETEC - Entertainment Technology Information for lighting designers for theater, film and architecture.
- "The History of Costumes" by Braun and Schneider History of costumes from many nationalities with lots of pictures.
- The International Theatre Design Archive - Project 2000 Scene, costume and lighting designs listed by title, playwright, designer and producer.
- Sculptural Arts Coating, Inc. the makers of Sculpt or Coat
- Stagecraft via YAHOO!
- Technical Theatre Organizations/Unions
- Tools for Stagecraft a commercial site
- TCI: The Business of Entertainment Technology & Design-Online
- American Ballet Theatre Performance directory plus gorgeous photo galleries.
- American Ballroom Companion Dance Instruction Manuals Ca.1600-1920 Collection from the Library of Congress with over 200 manuals included in this online exhibit.
- BalletWeb Site devoted to classical ballet with some information on modern dance.
- Cirque du Soleil Site for this wonderful dance and circus troupe.
- DanceArt Chat areas, gear, links to dance sites, interviews and more.
- Dance Instruction Manuals, Ca.1600-1920 Library of Congress collection of dance instruction manuals which reveal the evolution of etiquette and dance.
- Dance Links Large collection of dance-related links, including ballet, modern, organizations, and schools.
- Dance Magazine Collection of articles and information.
- Dancescape Site for ballroom dancing and dancesport, plus an online store for supplies.
- The Information Super Dance Floor Country and western line dancing information.
- Sapphire Swan Dance Directory Huge collection of dance links for all types of dancing.
- Tap Dance Homepage Events, informational resources, and support.
- Yahoo — Dance
- Creative Drama and Theatre Education Resource Site Theater games, creative drama, classroom ideas and more for the theater instructor.
- Learn Improv In-depth list of improvisational theatre games with playing hints.
- Acting Workshop On-line (AWOL) Information on acting and the acting business.
- Backstage.com News, casting calls, and feature stories about the theater world.
- Actors and Actresses via YAHOO!
- English Actors at the Turn of the Century
- The Obie Awards (off-Broadway theater)
- Tony Awards Online
- American Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 Multimedia Library of Congress exhibit with playscripts, photographs, motion pictures, playbills, sound recordings and more.
- Didaskalia Roman and Greek ancient theater as it is being performed today.
- Theatre Database, tons of history research sources
- History of Broadway
- Creative Drama and Theater Education Classroom resources, theater games, plays and books.
- Kabuki for Everyone Information on this form of traditional Japanese theater.
- London Theatre Forum for Actors, a site for American actors who want to work or study in London
- The Puppetry Home Page Information on puppetry from building puppets to performing.
- Drama Server full-text plays, historical to contemporary
- Dramatic Exchange scripts
- English Server Drama Collection
- Federal Theatre Project Collection This Library of Congress exhibit features scripts, costumes, set designs, posters and more from the Federal Theatre Project, created during the New Deal under the Works Progress Administration (WPA.)
- McCoy's Guide to Theatre and Performance Studies Collection of online resources.
- Plays Online by author (WWW Virtual Library)
- Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
- Theatrales (links to French drama texts)
Theatre Organizations and Unions
- Screen Actors Guild Information for members, film makers and those considering becoming actors.
- Stagebill Guide to theater, dance, opera, jazz and classical music, with a performance search engine and a roster of arts organizations.
- UNITED STATES INSTITUTE OF THEATRE TECHNOLOGY The association of design, production, and technology professionals in the performing arts and entertainment industry.
- United Scenic Artists The homepage for the theatre designer's union
- Actors' Equity Association The stage actors union homepage.
- Directors Guild of America The film directors union homepage
- Dramatists Guild of America for playwrights and finding a playwright's agent.
- The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees The IATSE is the labor union representing technicians, artisans and craftspersons in the entertainment industry, including live theatre, film and television production.
- Writer's Guild of America, East The union representing writers
- University/Resident Theatre Association The University/Resident Theatre Association is the country's oldest and largest consortium of professional theatre training graduate programs and associated professional theatre companies.
- The League of American Theatres and Producers is the national trade association for the commercial theatre industry.
- Theatre Communications Group Theatre Communications Group, the national organization for American theatre, provides a central forum and communications network for a field that is as artistically diverse as the communities it serves.
Reviews, Schedules and Events
- Buy Broadway Information and reviews of Broadway shows in New York City.
- The Official London Theatre Guide Guide to what is happening in London's West End.
- The New York Times for reviews
- Playbill Online Theaters, celebrities, recordings, articles and more.
- Stagebill Guide to the performing arts, from classical music to jazz to theater to dance.
- Theatre Companies, Events and Schedules (WWW Virtual Library)
Theatre Publications and Discussion Groups
- Theatre and Drama Mailing Lists (WWW Virtual Library)
- Theater Journals BEST LIST via YAHOO!
- Theater Magazines via YAHOO!
- Theatre and Drama Journals (WWW Virtual Library)
- TCI: The Business of Entertainment Technology & Design-Online
- Theater Magazine (Yale School of Drama and the Yale Repertory Theatre)