The Department of Physical Education, Recreation, Therapeutic Recreation, Sport Management and Athletic Training strives to provide the student with an educational environment that will promote and be consistent with the college's purpose of blending liberal studies and career preparation with an emphasis on the personal growth and development of each student. The effort is reflected in the specific aims identified in the College's Statement of Purpose. The five majors offered promote, in various ways, the following:
- Personal growth and development
- Promote multicultural understanding and positive relationships
- Academic Achievement
- The pursuit of an acceptable occupation
- Functioning successfully in a complex society
- Accommodating individual needs
- Students have the option of completing either a teaching track or non-teaching track degree in the Physical Education major.
- Students have the unique opportunity to observe and participate in a variety of teaching experiences in the local schools as early as their sophomore year.
- Program flexibility allows for the possibility of completing the requirements for a double major in four years.
- Required courses in the major, which are offered in other disciplines, provide numerous experiences in the public schools, thereby providing additional practical experiences.
- Since our students receive K-12 certification when they complete the
Teaching Track curriculum, they gain a wide range of experiences at the elementary, middle and high school levels. Additionally, they have direct contact with the college coaching staff in their preparation for both teaching and coaching.
fields of study in physical education